Joshua, Chapters 1-3.
Modern lessons and Commands from Joshua:
1. Have faith in God and hopefully a spiritual leader. Joshua trusted Moses, and realized people had to trust God and him.
2. Be yourself, but do not use it as an excuse to be lazy or sloppy. Joshua could have said: “I’m not Moses and will never be Moses so I will just get by. I do not need to work that hard”. But Joshua did not say that. Joshua trusted God, worked hard, and simply tried to be himself.
3. Improve each year on yourself and your Christian life.
4. Joshua set goals and had dreams of what he thought God wanted him to accomplish. We need to dream dreams and set goals also.
5. Joshua did not give up even after set backs. Joshua was not successful the first time, or every time, but he kept working toward his goals.
6. Joshua commanded the people to remember God’s Word and to study it. They were to pass it down to the next generations.
7. Joshua prayed and called on others to pray.
8. Joshua served God and his fellow humans with all of his heart and called others to serve faithfully as well.
9. Joshua gave to God the first fruits and tithed and called on the people to give their best first fruits in the form of crops to God.
10. Joshua remembered the law of Moses that Jesus would later say is the summary of the entire law and the prophets: “Love God with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength; and love your neighbor as yourself.”