Enough: Discovering Joy Through Simplicity & Generosity
By Adam Hamilton
Introduction: Faith in the Midst of Financial Crisis
Key Bible Verses
- I lift up my eyes to the hills —
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
The Maker of Heaven and Earth. Psalms 121:1-2
- Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. I Timothy 6:17
Key Insights from the Video
- An economic crisis is also a crisis of faith.
- The most potent threat we face today is fear.
- At the center of most economic crisis is the extension and abuse of credit.
- Credit comes from the Latin word "credo", which means "I believe" or "I trust". To extend credit to someone is to believe or trust that the person will repay you in the future.
- As Christians, our credo or trust is in God. The Apostle's Creed begins, "I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of Heaven and Earth."
- Throughout the Bible, we find words of hope and promise that remind us that we have no reason to fear, for God is our refuge and strength.
- An economic crisis is a spiritual issue stemming from at least five of the deadly sins: gluttony, greed, sloth, envy, and pride.
- The Church is a beacon of light inviting people to find deliverance, redemption, salvation, hope, and a new way of life.
Questions to Think About
- How is an economic crisis a crisis of faith?
- What happens when we feel we can no longer trust our banks, financial institutions, and our government?
- What role does credit play in our economic crisis?
- What insight does the Latin root word "credo" for credit play in your thoughts about the economic situation?
- What insight do you get from the key bible verses about how we should trust in the Lord during times of fear during the economic situation?
- In what ways is an economic crisis a spiritual crisis? Identify the sins that are at the root of this spiritual crisis.
- We all are tempted by some of the sins of want and desire to have things. In what ways have you been tempted by or given in to the sins of gluttony, greed, sloth, envy, and pride?
- Why is the government incapable of addressing the spiritual issue that lies beneath the state of our economy? What can Christians and the Church do to provide real help and hope?
O Lord, this earth and everything in it is yours. All that we have is a gift from you. When times are uncertain and our finances are hurting, forgive us for panicking and listening to the wrong voices rather than looking to you and your Word. Forgive us for giving in to fear and allowing worry and anxiety to keep us from being the wise stewards you would have us to be. Prepare our hearts and minds for the coming weeks of study. We pray to be open to your instruction and your guidance. As we learn to be better stewards of the resources you have given us, we put our complete trust in you. We trust you Lord, and with our lives and with all you have entrusted to us. Amen.