Tuesday, November 27, 2007

First Week of Advent by Dr. Jim Savage

Readings of Scripture for the week of December 2nd, and the First Week of Advent
Isaiah 2:1-5; Psalm 122; Romans 13:11-14; Matthew 24:36-44

GOD'S PREPOSTEROUS PROMISE

"......So often I stand on the edge of the light, afraid to believe, afraid to act, afraid that this story is too good to be true. But then in my better moments, when I listen closely to the story, move closer to the light, my fears seem to evaporate like an early morning mist, and I can believe again. I can believe that God who made all that is became clothed in our human flesh so that we might become clothed in God. I can believe that God claims me as a beloved child. I can believe that all my days are in God's strong and tender hands. I can believe that life is good, beautiful, and eternal. I can believe that not only my days but all days are in God's good and able hands. I can believe, rejoice, and wait trustingly and expectantly for the unfolding of God's promise given so many ways and most clearly in the Advent story. Thanks be to God!" (Rueben P. Job, Upper Room)

"The liturgical year opens the present to both the past and the future, widening our vision to glimpse the timelessness of God's own time. Through it we enter into the vigil being kept in the season before seasons. We continue to wait for the fullness." (Wendy M. Wright)

Isaiah 2:4-5:
I believe the words of this anointed prophet, and I rejoice in the vision of Your coming kingdom---a world without war, filled with a people who walk in the light of their Lord. Darkness, hatred and pain will be forgotten. Desperation and loss will be forever wiped away in the joy and comfort of Your Presence, O God. I thank You, bless You and praise You for Your sure promise and I look forward with longing toward the glorious fulfillment. (Maranatha! NIV Worship Bible)

AFFIRMATION:
For in Christ every one of God's promises is a "Yes." For this reason it is through Him that we say the "Amen," to the glory of God. (2 Cor 1:20)

No comments: